Nothing lasts forever. Your dishwasher is no different. It can serve you faithfully for years and years, and then one day it could start to fall apart. And often times when a dishwasher starts going south it won’t give you much warning.
At Boydco Plumbing we know how important your dishwasher can be. It’s hard to feel civilized when you have a mountain of dirty dishes stacking up in the sink. If you’re wondering if it’s time to get a new dishwasher, read on and keep these principles in mind.
Most modern dishwashers should last up to 15 years if they’re taken care of properly. This can vary between appliances, though: Some companies may produce dishwashers that wear out sooner. Dishwashers can break down due to a variety of reasons, but the two biggest factors tend to be:
- Frequency of use: The more often you use your machine, it can develop wear and tear over time. This is especially true if you run the dishwasher cycle several times on a daily basis.
- Water Hardness: Hard water is water that possesses a high mineral content. It’s often formed when water percolates through deposits of limestone and chalk. These deposits are largely made up of calcium and magnesium carbonates. This hard water can break down industrial equipment and appliances, and its presence can usually be detected by a lack of suds forming when soap is agitated in water. Also check your water heaters to see if there’s sign of any limescale: That’s a major indicator that hard water is in your home.
If any of the following problems are afflicting your dishwasher, you should seriously consider getting a new one:
- The water won’t get hot
- The dishwasher shelves and/or bottom of the washer are rusted
- It doesn’t drain
- The machine’s body shell is cracked
- The washer’s door latch doesn’t work
- Cracks running through inner compartment
Replacing Your Dishwasher
You can replace parts of your dishwasher to keep it running, but the honest truth is that it can often be cheaper to buy a new dishwasher than try to save an ailing machine. Certain parts can start to rust over time, and when rust spreads it can become harder to clean and contain. You’re much better off getting a new fridge than pay for a series of costly upgrades.
To find out more about our services, call Boydco Plumbing at 602-335-0323.