There is nothing worse than coming home after being away on a trip or just out for a few hours to find flooding in your home. Flooding can lead to a feeling of immediate panic and desperation. Your first instinct is to find the source of the flood and put a stop to it.
While stopping the immediate cause of the flood may be a good first step, there are other steps you can take to limit the amount of damage the flood will cause. Here are some important things to focus on when you find flooding in your home:
Keep children and pets away from the water.
· Accidents can happen in an urgent situation like this and injuries might occur if children are involved.
· Water from flooding can often be contaminated and dirty. This may include raw sewage and oils that may have mixed with the water making it extremely unsanitary.
· Throw away any food that may have come in contact with floodwaters.
Related: 4 Tools Every Homeowner Needs.
Remember to be safe when working in a flooded area.
· If your home has any standing water at all, it may be a good idea to turn the electricity off to avoid any electrical shock.
· If your home was heavily damaged by a flood, it is probably better to stay outside until an expert has a chance to assess the situation.
· It is much safer to use battery powered flashlights or lanterns when first inspecting a damaged structure to avoid fires.
· Use sturdy shoes – foot injuries are some of the most common injuries following a disaster such as a flood.
Take steps to be ready for clean up.
· Check for damage to the sewage system and waterlines.
· Take pictures of damage for insurance claims.
· If your basement was flooded, it is best to pump out the water gradually. Experts suggest pumping about one-third of the water per day to avoid structural damage.
In an emergency situation, such as a flood, it can be easy to get wrapped up in emotion and not think clearly. You might find yourself focused more on trying to save possessions, putting the safety of yourself and others at risk. Do not take chances you do not need to. Your first priority should be your family and neighbors.
Be sure to give Boydco Plumbing a call at 602-335-0323. We will be happy to visit your home as soon as possible and assess the situation. We will examine the area thoroughly to find other problems or causes. Then, we’ll work closely with you through the clean up process.